Wednesday 26 June 2013

It's been a while..

Sorry, I haven't been on here in nearly two months.
I've spent the majority of my time with my head in books for my final A-level exams (I'm finally free!). I studied A-levels in Geography, Biology and Computer Science, with an AS in Applied ICT. 

So this is a major milestone for my life. I've finished full time education and now I can really focus on the flying side of things. You'd think I'd just be sitting around now but unfortunately not. I mentioned a few blog posts ago that I'd be commencing hour building in South Africa for 50 hours in a Cessna 152 and this has actually come to reality under my own organisation (win!). My foreign pilot validation is being completed by the South African Civil Aviation Authority as I write.

I'm flying out on July 5th from London Heathrow to Johannesburg, arriving on the 6th. The two weeks encompasses flying out of Benoni Brakpan airfield, just south east of Joburg, in a recently refurbished Cessna 152 II - ZS-PUT.

Photo credited to Brian Spurr.

There's only one problem. It's a morbid subject but unfortunately it's not looking good for the former South African president, Nelson Mandela. He's in a critical state right now (26/06) and if he does die before we fly out, in just over a week, then it could alter our plans significantly. We're travelling on British Airways staff travel (standby) as my dad worked for them for over 20 years. The problem is, if he does die, then the flights to South Africa will fill up and we won't be able to get on a flight until after his funeral - unless we're lucky.

If so, then we'll postpone until later in the month. No biggie.

Other things that are happening in my life - possibly a full time job! (aviation related too!)
This will help me to gradually build hours in the UK, and also start to fund my ATPL theory with ProPilot ATPL Ground School later this year.

Oh, and I also have a driving test next week! 

I'll keep you posted.

Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment