Sunday 5 May 2013

Air League Youth in Aviation Day 2013, Bicester Airfield

Bicester Airfield is a sleepy ex-RAF airfield in Oxfordshire. Flight operations on the airfield began 102 years ago, where it was then inhabited by the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Air Force. At one point it was home to RAF Bomber Command and most of the buildings on the airfield are found as they were left from WW2. Today only gliding operations take place with the resident Windrushers Gliding Club on site.

Annually, the Air League  run a Youth in Aviation flying day for members and members of the public to congregate on the site for the opportunity to meet FTOs such as CTC and CAE Oxford as well as the RAF. Not only were there opportunities to meet companies, but also flying  and gliding! Throughout the whole of the day gliders were launching via the winch or the several aerotows.

I spent the most of the day walking around the site, exploring the hangars, control tower and meeting people.

There were also a few flying displays, including Lauren Richardson's excellent display in her Pitts S1S Special G-BKDR. You can see her website at http://theaerobaticproject.com/



After the general public left, members of organisations were invited  to stay for a BBQ and live bands.. and of course, the bar.

Myself and a few of my friends that I've met through the world of aviation retreated to the top of the control tower to enjoy the GliderFX display with a few beers and a good discussion whilst the sun dipped below the horizon.

Before becoming too intoxicated, I remember thinking how surreal the situation at that point in time was. Right then, I was sitting on top of an abandoned WW2 RAF control tower, in the middle of Oxfordshire, beer in hand with some quality people I would have never met anywhere else. Only because of our shared interest in aviation have I made some great friendships with people I may never have met otherwise.

It really shows that life is about the journey and not the destination. It's essential to enjoy the things you do and the people you meet along the way, and I think these friendships will continue for many years to come.

I imagine when you do get to the destination, you'll be able to look back at what you did and who you met, the moments you had with great fondness and I hope I won't forget that moment I enjoyed with my friends on top of that control tower that evening.

Following that, let's just say the rest of the night was very messy and I'm now feeling the effects the day afterwards ;-)

Mike







No comments:

Post a Comment